Saturday, May 15, 2010

2 years ago I was playing around with Riley in Washington D.C.-being dorks and taking silly pictures at some of the most historic places of our nation. The picture below is on our tour bus.


1 year ago my family came to see me graduate from Utah State. Riley decided that he too wanted to "graduate" so we took some pictures of him with my diploma. I told him that I would help him get there himself and that in a few short years he would be graduating from college too. Now my diploma is his too.


This last picture is from New Years day. We continued a fun tradition of going out to an early dinner on New Years-just the parents and their kids. We talked about the fun things from the past year and our goals for this year. 18 short days later I lost my brother. And now 5 months later I continue to struggle with the feelings stirred up with his death. We have had several "firsts" without him already. And while the holidays are hard I am finding that the small everyday things are harder. Recently I helped to conduct the choir at the elementary where I work-he couldn't come. When I changed my hair I didn't have him to tease me about it and then tell me that it looked great. When my class had Sports Day-he wasn't there to help with my students. Today as we do some yard work at Grandma's with everyone he will be missed-the last time we did was when he came and helped with leaves-laughing and singing and helping without complaint. When Chelsi graduates from high school in a few weeks he won't be there to yell for her or to eat a big steak at Outback (a graduating tradition for our family). When I move my classroom and start at a junior high he won't be there to tell me that I will do fine and to not be afraid. When Josh and I start a family I won't have my little brother there to hold his neice/nephew. I'm sorry this is so down but I needed to get some things out. I miss my brother.

4 comments:

Alanna said...

Allie! HUGS!!! I am so sorry that the everyday things are so tough! I can't imagine the pain and hurt that sneaks up on you! You know where to find me if you need ANYTHING

mental monika said...

Keep hanging in there, Beautiful. Miss ya.

britt said...

I love you alli.

Keli and Jacob Langston said...

Alli, I cannot even imagine the load you are carrying on your heart. Know that you will be in my prayers!