Friday, December 26, 2008

The happenings of Christmas!

We had a crazy holiday season this year! Josh had to work Christmas Eve as well as the day after Christmas. Our original plan was to leave as soon as Josh got off work and then come back Christmas day. The weather forecasters were telling us that it wouldn't really work :( luckily for us the weather was good and we decided to go ahead and make the trip to see our families-Josh made some calls and made sure that if traveling back would be impossible that someone would be able to cover for him. We had a great time Christmas Eve with all of my extended family having the traditional Derricott Christmas Eve with a slight twist. This year instead of family gifts we all donated money and my aunt bought supplies for hygiene kits. We put together almost 100 kits and also made hats and scarves (one of the pictures is of the men making them). Then came caroling and the traditional pasoley (yes I know I can't spell it)and homemade chicken noodle soup. We then had a performance of the nativity. Then we opened our one Christmas Eve gift-JAMMIES!!! Then came the traditional PJ parade through my grandma's house! All in all it was a wonderful night!
Christmas day we woke up early and headed to Josh's parents house. We had a great time seeing what Santa brought and opening presents with his family. They got a new TV and sound system for their newly finished basement and so they headed down to set it all up. We met all my siblings and families at my parents just after ten and exchanged gifts with them. After that we went back to Josh's parents where we spent the rest of the afternoon playing games and having a wonderful Christmas dinner.

The weather was looking pretty good so we decided that we would be fine and we'd be responsible and head back to Logan so that Josh could work at 5:30 the next morning. The roads were great and weather was wonderful...until we hit Brigham City. We quickly called both sets of parents and asked for a quick prayer to be said in our behalf while we offered some of our own. Because of Josh's vision I was driving. As we headed into the canyon the snow and winds became much worse. It was a complete whiteout and I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. Luckily for me a large suburban and truck decided I was going too slow and paved the way for me-I followed their taillights and tracks all through the canyon. Had it not been for them it would have taken a whole lot longer. After we got through the canyon we found out that the canyon had officially been closed now. We got home and called family to let them know were safe-we had two very worried mothers. The next morning we woke up to find that we had over a foot of snow!
All in all we feel very blessed this holiday season and we are truly grateful for not only the wonderful presents we received from family and friends but more importantly the time and love that we got to share. We consider ourselves super lucky!

1 comment:

The Halls of Fame said...

I love all your pics. Funny how our blog stories are very similar about Christmas Eve. I'm so glad you guys were able to be here!! Also glad you made it home safe. Love you ♥